Sunday, September 11, 2011

One Down...

Week One -- Fried Chicken

FRIED CHICKEN.

Wash and cut up a young chicken, wipe it dry, season with salt and pepper, dredge it with flour, or dip each piece in beaten egg and then in cracker crumbs. Have in a frying pan one ounce each of butter and sweet lard made boiling hot. Lay in the chicken and fry brown on both sides. Take up, drain it and set aside in a covered dish. Stir into the gravy left, if not too much, a large tablespoonful of flour, make it smooth, add a cup of cream or milk, season with salt and pepper, boil up and pour over the chicken. Some like chopped parsley added to the gravy. Serve hot.

Well, I decided for the first week to do something that isn't too complicated. My goal is to change as little as possible in the recipes, however I did make a few minor changes in this one. Instead of lard, I used shortening, because it is what I had. With the chicken, I used boneless breasts, again because that is what I had around.

Overall, I think it turned out really well. Or, as Amy says, "Meh." I take that as a compliment, though. I even followed through and made the gravy at the end.

Now, here are some pictures:

Getting ready.


That would be fat.


That pan on the left weighs about 487 lbs. Which is awesome when you have to hold it tilted and scrape the gravy out.


Fryin' it up.


The finished product.


Another view. The gravy didn't look like much, but it was delicious.


Chicken.


The potatoes. These weren't from the book, just kind of made them up.


Anyway, for being the first week, it really turned out OK. I have to get used to using cast iron again, but I will get there.

That's really about it for now, tune in next week for round two.
Take it easy, all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->