Friday, April 01, 2011

Beans and bacon...

Well, having learned to make bacon, I have decided to continue in the breakfast vein and learn to roast my own coffee. I got me a sweet hand-crank popcorn popper, some fine green coffee (check out Sweet Maria's link on the side, because they are awesome), and decided to get at it.

Here's how it works: Get the popper hot, add the coffee, crank and crank and crank and crank (this continues for quite a while.) After a bit, it gets to popping, this means you are almost done. So you keep cranking. When you are done, you dump it in a metal bowl, or a colander, or a strainer, or both. Then you dump it back and forth while the bowl/strainer gets really hot. Eventually, the beans are cool enough that they stop roasting, so you can put them in a jar, or wherever you choose. I got the thumb of my glove in them accidentally, and decided to store a bunch on the back patio.

Really, though, for being my first try, it turned out fairly well. It made some pretty good coffee, too.
















That is a big, big bag.

The 4# Sampler

Ready to go!

The "before"

The "after"

All done, just hangin' out before getting bagged.


Now, if I get some chickens, I will have an entire homemade breakfast.

Well, that's about it for now. I leave you with a picture of Andy. Just because I can.



PS -- I am not getting any chickens.

2 Comments:

Blogger Grant said...

Why no chickens!? You definitely should. And an orange tree. Perhaps even some wheat to make flour so you can make some pancakes. Actually, I've wanted to do this for awhile: Get heavy cream, whip into butter with electric mixer. Use the buttermilk (the liquid part when everything separates) to make buttermilk pancakes and the butter to put on top. Butter made this way is awesome. Try it and take some photos!

7:53 AM  
Blogger kellynbreesmom's, Just about Life said...

I am not as ambitious as you are but I enjoy looking at pics of your hard work and cute kid :) .

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->